What better way to enjoy a steaming cup of hot chocolate than to make it yourself? Here’s a basic recipe to get you started and some ideas to take whatever spin on the classic beverage you’d like.
In a saucepan, combine ½ cup of sugar, ¼ cup baking cocoa and pinch of salt. Stir in 4 cups of milk; heat to serving temperature (do not boil). Remove from the heat and whisk until frothy.
- Make it extra decadent by replacing the milk with half and half.
- Make it vegan with nutty life oatmilk, cashew milk or almond milk.
- Grab some heavy cream to make and top with homemade whipped cream.
- Add some goat’s milk caramel to the base or drizzle it on top with some shaved chocolate.
- Make it extra chocolatey by melting in some chocolate chips.