Greg's Pick: Butternut Squash Seed Oil
July 9, 2021
The first time I tasted Stony Brook’s Butternut Squash Seed Oil I was completely taken by it’s savory and nutty flavor. Love at first taste! I always have it in my pantry.
I use it on both sweet and savory dishes, and it is always mixed in my salad dressings.
There is a touch of sweetness to it, so drizzle it on ice cream or cheese cake and be amazed.
As always these simple foods we source for you have such a complex flavor that they enliven almost any dish: pasta, salads, desserts and marinades.
I highly recommend this—it is a gift I give guests and friends who I love! Here are some ways to use this amazing oil:
- Dressing with olive oil, butternut squash seed oil, vinegar of choice, a touch of white wine and whatever seasoning moves me that night plus salt and pepper. Shake vigorously.
- Pan searing sweet vegetables like snap peas, carrots, and especially brussels sprouts.
- Drizzle over dessert—ice cream, cheese cake, mascarpone.
- As a standalone dressing on a caprese salad. Just drizzle and serve.
- Add to an Asian style marinade in place of sesame oil.