Cider Braised Pork
Try this delicious, seasonal recipe, from our 2018 Fall Equinox Feast!
Thanks to Bon Temps Gourmet for sharing this delicious recipe with us.
- 5 lbs Pork Butt or Pork Shoulder cut into 4 pieces
- 4 oz Kosher Salt
- 2 oz Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp each Paprika, Black Pepper, Thyme, Sage, Fennel Seed, Allspice, Juniper Berry, Mustard Seed, Garlic Powder
- 3 Bay Leaves
Grind the spices, then combine with the salt & sugar. Rub the pork with the cure. Let sit in the fridge for 4 hours, then rinse off the cure. Dry the pork.
- 4 cloves Garlic, thin slice
- 4 Onions, large dice
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1 pint Cider (hard or sweet)
- 1 pint Stock
- 1 bunch Thyme, fresh or 1 Tb dried
- 1 oz Honey
- 1 Lb Carrots, large pieces
- 1 Lb Parsnips, large pieces
- 1 Lb Gold Potatoes, large pieces
- ½ bunch Parsley, chopped
Sear the pork in a cast iron dutch oven, then remove from the pan. Saute the garlic & onion in the rendered pork fat. Add the flour, cook for a few minutes, scraping the pan a few times. Add the cider & stock, bring to a simmer. Add the seared pork, thyme & honey. Braise in a 300° oven for 3 hours, adding the root veggies after the first hour of cooking. Remove the pork from the sauce, and pull it apart into large shreds of meat. Return meat to the sauce, stir in the parsley & serve.