Use medium size slow cooker. If cooking beans from scratch this recipe takes planning ahead as the beans need to be pre-cooked before starting the chili
- 2 cups (3/4 lb) dry beans (Soldier, King of the Early or other kidney style bean)
- 1 lb ground beef (optional)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 - 4 c. chopped veggies including carrots, kale, roasted red peppers, squash, etc
- Valicenti Pizza Sauce (use as a tomato base) or one 28 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 ½ c broth or water
- 1 c. frozen corn
- Salt to taste
To cook beans:
- Soak beans (optional), cook till soft but not mushy. Drain and set aside (refrigerate overnight if cooking them one day ahead)
To make chili:
- In a large skillet cook the onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano and cumin; add the veggies to the skillet, stir-fry them 5–10 minutes, then add the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Cook the ground beef, if using, in the same pan, add to the slow cooker.
- Put the beans, tomatoes, and broth in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 7 – 9 hours.
- Add corn for the last 15 minutes of the cooking time, and salt to taste.
- The leftovers are great to freeze.