Use medium size slow cooker. If cooking beans from scratch this recipe takes planning ahead as the beans need to be pre-cooked before starting the chili
- 2 cups (3/4 lb) dry beans (Soldier, King of the Early or other kidney style bean)
- 1 lb Ground Beef (optional)
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 - 4 c. chopped veggies including Carrots, Kale, Roasted Red Peppers, Squash, etc
- Joe's Pizza Sauce (use as a tomato base) or One 28 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 ½ c Broth or water
- 1 c. Frozen Corn
- Salt to taste
To cook beans:
- Soak beans (optional), cook till soft but not mushy. Drain and set aside (refrigerate overnight if cooking them one day ahead)
To make chili:
- In a large skillet cook the onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano and cumin; add the veggies to the skillet, stir-fry them 5–10 minutes, then add the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Cook the ground beef, if using, in the same pan, add to the slow cooker.
- Put the beans, tomatoes, and broth in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 7 – 9 hours.
- Add corn for the last 15 minutes of the cooking time, and salt to taste.
- The leftovers are great to freeze.