Upside Down Cranberry Pecan Pumpkin Cake
For bottom of pan/Topping:
- 8 ounces (2 sticks or 16 Tbsp) unsalted butter
- 1 cup maple sugar
- 2 cups cranberries
- 4 ounces (1 cup) coarsely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a 9" round pan with parchment paper and grease the sides.
- Melt the butter and maple sugar in a saucepan over medium heat- whisk until smooth.
- Pour the melted butter-sugar mixture in the bottom of the prepared pan and sprinkle the cranberries and pecans on top.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin or squash puree and oil.
- Whisk the flour, maple sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture. Carefully spread the batter over the cranberry pecan topping.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen sides with a butter knife. Place a large plate on top to invert cake onto plate. Peel off parchment and let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.