Spicy Maple Pecans
Serves: four 1-cup gifts
No December would be complete without a batch of these to eat and give as gifts. Extremely addictive!
- 4 cups of shelled pecans (approximately 1 pound)
- 4 - 5 tablespoons of maple syrup
- ⅓ cup maple sugar
- 1 - 2 teaspoons of salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ginger
Farmers To You Ingredients:
Other Fresh and Pantry Ingredients:
- salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika, powdered ginger
- Pour maple syrup into a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small measuring cup, combine maple sugar, salt, three peppers and ginger. Stir vigorously until completely combined. Set aside.
- Heat an iron or heavy non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add pecans and toast for about 5 minutes. Be sure to stir or shake the pan constantly so the pecans do not burn.
- Dump hot pecans into the bowl with syrup. Stir to combine. When syrup is evenly distributed over nuts, slowly sprinkle with sugar and spice mixture. Toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings. Spread out to cool on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Package in tins, small mason jars, or cellophane bags tied with ribbon.
- Note: Depending on your preferences, add more or less of the suggested salt, peppers and ginger. You can always adjust at the very end. The amounts indicated here yield a moderately spicy treat.