Serves: 4 gifts
Crunchy and flavorful, these crackers are wonderful to serve when you have company or to give as a gift with a chunk of your favorite cheese.
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ cup sunflower seeds (or a combination of your favorite seeds -- sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, flax, poppy)
- ½ cup very finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons oil (olive, walnut, sunflower, canola)
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into smaller pieces
- 1 cup +/- cool water
Farmers To You Ingredients:
- cornmeal, whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, sunflower seeds, walnuts, oil, butter
Other Fresh and Pantry Ingredients:
- salt, baking powder, black pepper
- Chop walnuts meats into tiny bits.
- Combine cornmeal, flours, salt, baking powder, pepper, seeds and walnuts in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Drizzle on oil and add cold butter. Work in with fingertips.
- Add water, a bit at a time, until dough just comes together. The dough should not be sticky. Do not overwork as this will toughen the dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly. Divide dough into 4 small chunks and let “rest” under a clean dishtowel for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Roll out one ball of dough at a time on a piece of parchment paper sprinkled with either a tiny bit of cornmeal or some seeds. Roll out as thinly as possible, ideally 1/16 of an inch. Use a fork to prick the dough all over. (Do not worry about the shape of the rolled out dough. Once baked, you will break it into pieces.)
- Place the parchment paper and cracker dough on a pizza stone or a cookie sheet. Bake for 4 - 6 minutes, flip over and bake for a couple more minutes. The crackers can easily burn, so stay nearby and don’t get distracted. I speak from experience!
- Remove from pan and let cool and then break into pieces.
- Serve with your favorite cheese of some parsnip hummus.