Sweet Potato Biscuits
Serves: 8 - 10
Moist and packed with flavor, these biscuits are great for a festive meal or for breakfast any day!
- 1¾ cups flour (and more for kneading)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (and an extra tablespoon, melted, for brushing on top)
- ¾ cup mashed/pureed sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
Farmers To You Ingredients:
Other Fresh and Pantry Ingredients:
- salt, baking powder, baking soda, butter
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl.
- Chop up cold butter into tiny pieces and add to flour mixture. Using your fingertips, work butter into flour until it is the consistence of a course meal. Don’t worry if there are a few bigger lumps.
- Combine mashed sweet potato, maple syrup and buttermilk in a 2-cup measure or small bowl. Add to flour mixture being careful not to overmix.
- Liberally sprinkle flour on the counter. Turn out the dough and knead sparingly and gently until the dough comes together. Add extra flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Roll out dough to about a one inch thickness. Cut out biscuits using a two inch cutter. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, close but not touching.
- Brush tops with melted butter or a bit of heavy cream.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown and the centers are moist but not wet. (Test with a cake tester or toothpick.) Serve warm with maple butter (made by simply mashing a bit of maple syrup into some soft butter).