Serves: 4 - 6
Not just for Hanukkah, these small, crispy pancakes are wonderfully tasty especially when served with fresh applesauce.
- 4 Russet potatoes
- 1 small onion
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Oil for frying
- Apple sauce
Farmers To You Ingredients:
- Russet potatoes, onion, oil, apple sauce
Fresh and Other Pantry Ingredients:
- salt and pepper
- Peel potatoes and onion.
- Coarsely grate potatoes using the side of the grater with the largest holes. Place in colander and sprinkle with salt. Allow potatoes to drain. After 5 or more minutes, press remaining water out of potatoes.
- Grate or finely chop onion. Add to potatoes.
- Pour enough oil into a heavy fry pan to cover bottom. Heat oil over medium to high heat. It is important for the oil to be hot, but not smoking, before adding the potatoes. If you add the potatoes before the oil is hot they will soak up the oil and become small oil sponges!
- Drop heaping tablespoons of grated potato batter into the hot oil pressing them into rounds with a spatula. They should sizzle when they come into contact with the oil. Fry for a few minutes on each side until crispy and browned.
- Remove from oil and place on a paper towel in order to absorb excess oil. Serve hot with applesauce and/or sour cream.