Sensational Scalloped Potatoes
Delicious on its own or as a side with meat. Also wonderful for breakfast or brunch.
- 2 pounds of potato (golden, red, or russet), sliced thin
- 2 large onions, sliced thin
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups half and half cream
- ½ pound cheddar, grated (also good with Swiss or Parmesan or other hard cheeses)
- 1 tablepoon fresh thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Farmers To You Ingredients:
Other Fresh and Pantry Ingredients:
- salt, pepper, paprika
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9” x 13” baking pan.
- Wash potatoes and cut into thin slices. Do not peel!
- Peel onions and cut into thin slices.
- Grate cheddar.
- Place a single layer of potatoes on the bottom of the pan. Scatter with thin onion slices.
- Sprinkle lightly with flour. (I do this by putting a tablespoon or so in a small wire sieve and shake it over the potatoes and onions.)
- Add salt and pepper, to taste, and scatter a layer of grated cheese over top.
- Repeat for 3 more layers or until you don’t have any more ingredients left.
- Pour cream evenly over the entire casserole.
- Wash thyme and remove leaves from their stems. Chop lightly and sprinkle over top of vegetables and cheese.
- Lightly shake paprika over top layer.
- Cover with aluminum foil and place in oven for 30 minutes. Then, remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes to brown the top.
- Serve hot. Tastes even better the next day!