A comforting, flavor packed soup; perfect as the temperatures fall.
- 1 pound gold potatoes (4 or 5 potatoes depending on size)
- 1 pound leeks (2 – 3 medium sized leeks)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half cream
- chives for garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
Farmers To You Ingredients:
- potatoes, leeks, broth, half and half, cream, chives
Fresh and Other Pantry Ingredients:
- salt and pepper, canola oil
- Cut off the dark green tops of the leek a couple of inches above the white bottom. Trim off the root end. Rinse the leeks under running water to remove any visible dirt. Cut the leeks lengthwise and place in a bowl of water. Swish them around so that any dirt stuck inside the layers falls out. Discard water.
- Chop leeks into narrow slices. Set aside.
- Peel potatoes and chop into a small dice. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy soup pot over medium heat. Add the chopped leeks and potatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to brown slightly, approximately 10 – 15 minutes. Add stock and bring to a boil. Turn down heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for approximately 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and insert an immersion blender into the soup. Blend until completely pureed. (You can substitute a blender or a food processor if you don’t have an immersion blender, being sure to blend soup in small batches.)
- Add cream and blend once more.
- Pour into serving bowls and garnish with chopped chives.
- Variation: Wonderful with the addition of roasted fennel. You may also want to try serving it with a spoonful of crème fraiche.