A summer meal that takes advantage of the goodness of fresh sweet corn and garden tomatoes.
- 2 – 3 onions (approximately 1 ½ cups chopped onions)
- 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 – 3 large fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 28 ounces of your favorite canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 4 ears of corn
- ¼ cup white flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- freshly grated cheddar cheese
Farmers to You Ingredients:
- sunflower oil, thyme, oregano, tomatoes, vegetable broth, corn, heavy cream, parsley, cheddar cheese
Other Fresh and Pantry Ingredients:
- canned diced tomatoes, white flour, salt and pepper
- Peel and chop the onions.
- Strip the leaves from the thyme and oregano. Chop and set aside.
- Wash and chop fresh tomatoes into small chunks. Set aside.
- Heat sunflower oil in a 3 quart soup pot over medium heat. Saute onions along with the thyme and oregano until lightly browned.
- Add both the fresh and the canned tomatoes along with the water and the vegetable stock. Simmer for half and hour, covered, over low heat.
- Place flour in a 2 cup measure or small bowl. Slowly add 1 cup of cream and mix until completely blended. There should be no lumps. Slowly add a ladle full of soup to the cream mixture. Stir. Add another ladle of soup and when combined, add the cream mixture to the tomatoes and onions. Continue to simmer over very low heat.
- Shuck corn and remove all silk. Cut kernels from ears and add to soup along with salt, pepper and parsley.
- Simmer for an additional 15 minutes and then serve hot, garnishing with grated cheddar and a bit of minced parsley.