A scrumptious appetizer: the salty crunch of the bacon is balanced when paired with the sweetness of the pecans and caramelized squash. Adapted from Ina Garten.
- ½ pound bacon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup pecans
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 delicata squash
- 3 tablespoons butter
Farmers To You Ingredients:
- bacon, pecans, delicata squash, maple syrup
Other Fresh and Pantry Ingredients:
- brown sugar, salt, pepper, cayenne, butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet pan with tin foil and top with a wire baking rack. (The foil helps with clean up!)
- Combine nuts and sugar in a food processor and process until nuts are fairly finely ground. Add the salt, pepper and cayenne. Pulse to combine. Add maple syrup and pulse once more to moisten the mixture.
- Cut bacon strips in half. Lay out on a flat surface and, using a butter knife, spread nut mixture on each piece of bacon. Line up on baking rack so that they do not touch.
- Bake for approximately 20 – 25 minutes. The topping will be browned but not burnt. (Note that the drippings will collect on the foil beneath the bacon and may burn and smoke in your oven so be prepared when you open the oven door!)
- Transfer from oven and let cool on a plate lined with paper towels. Set aside.
- Cut a delicata squash lengthwise and remove all seeds. Do not peel! (Delicata squash have a lovely, tender peel that is edible.) Cut into thin moon shaped slices a little less than ¼ inch thick.
- Melt butter in a heavy iron skillet over medium heat. Place moons flat side down in butter. Squash should be in one layer only and not overlap. Cook until lightly browned and caramelized. Flip and repeat on other side. Lightly salt.
- Pair with bacon. Serve at room temperature.