A flavorful dessert featuring the berries and fruit of the season that literally begs to be eaten. Simple to make, too.
- 4 cups blueberries
- 3 large apples
- half a lemon, juiced
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon for berry mixture, 1 teaspoon cinnamon for topping
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup oats
- ½+ cup walnuts (or pecans)
Farmers to You Ingredients:
Other Fresh and Pantry Ingredients:
- lemon, granulated and brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, oats
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking dish (or 2 small pie pans). Set aside.
- Peel and chop apples into small dime-sized pieces. Place in mixing bowl along with blueberries. Add the juice of half a lemon, granulated sugar, ½ cup flour and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Thoroughly mix. Set aside.
- To make the topping, in a mixer, beat 1 stick of butter until soft. Add brown sugar and cinnamon and blend until smooth. Add flour, oats and chopped nuts. Blend until completely combined.
- Spread berry and fruit mixture in baking pan or pie pans. Sprinkle top with small chunks of crumbled topping.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until fruit is bubbling and topping is brown and crusty. Serve warm plain or with freshly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- Variations: Experiment by using whatever berries or fruit are in season.