A classic Asian salad that melds a host of wonderful flavors from sweet to salty with fish sauce providing an earthy undertone. Don’t let the long list of ingredients hold you back; it is well worth making.
- 1 pound +/- beef (sirloin\flank steak or other marbled cut)
- 1 – 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- ½ cup mint
- ½ cup cilantro
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber
- 1 – 3 tomatoes (you can also substitute red pepper)
Farmers To You Ingredients:
Other Fresh and Pantry Ingredients:
- red curry paste, garlic, sesame oil, lime, chili sauce, sugar, fish sauce, shallot
- Mix red curry paste with garlic and sesame oil. Spread on both sides of beef. Cover and refrigerate for several hours.
- Preheat a grill or broiler to cook the steak.
- While stove or grill is heating, make your dressing by combining the lime juice, chili sauce, sugar, fish sauce, sunflower oil, mint, cilantro in a small bowl or 2 cup glass measure. Mix well. Sample and adjust as necessary. Set aside.
- Grill or broil meat, turning once. Meat should be pink within but charred on the outside (about 5-10 minutes total cooking time depending on the thickness of the cut). When done cooking, let the meat rest for a minimum of 5 minutes and then, using a very sharp knife, thinly slice, cutting against the grain.
- Peel cucumber and cut in half lengthwise. Cut in half again so that you have 4 long pieces. Slice these, making diagonal strokes with your knife. (You can also choose to cut your cucumber in matchstick shaped pieces. It’s all about how you want it to look in the salad.) Cut tomatoes into thin wedges. Slice shallots into paper thin pieces.
- Toss meat with shallot, cucumber, and tomatoes. Add dressing.
- Line your serving dish with washed arugula or other greens and top with beef and vegetable mixture. Eat at room temperature.