Nel’s Birthday Cake
A moist, yellow cake that gets its character from the whipped cream used in it instead of butter. Fill with vanilla pastry cream and top with whipped cream and berries or coconut. Delicious!
- 3 cups white flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups of heavy cream plus 2 cups more for frosting
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract plus 2 teaspoons more for frosting
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups of sugar plus ¼ cup more for frosting
- edible flowers and berries for garnish
Farmers To You Ingredients:
Fresh and Other Pantry Ingredients:
- baking powder, salt, vanilla extract, almond extract, sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour 3 round cake pans.
- In a mixing bowl, beat 2 cups of heavy cream until stiff.
- Gradually add vanilla, almond extract, eggs and sugar. Mix completely.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly fold dry ingredients into the cream and egg mixture.
- Pour ⅓ of batter into each prepared cake pan and bake in preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick or broom straw comes out clean. Let cool slightly before removing from pan. Set aside.
- Fill layers with vanilla pastry cream (see recipe).
- For frosting, whip one pint of heavy cream. Add vanilla and sugar to taste. Thickly frost the cake with this mixture. When complete, sprinkle with fresh berries and edible flowers or shredded coconut.
- Variations: You can also use this recipe to make cupcakes. Simply line 24 – 28 muffin tins with paper baking cups. Do not overfill. Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.