Easy Vanilla Pastry Cream
A simple version of creme patissiere -- delicious as a cake filling or eaten as a custard.
- 1 ¼ cups Half and Half
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
Farmers To You Ingredients:
Other Fresh and Pantry Ingredients:
- sugar, cornstarch, vanilla extract, butter
- In a double boiler or heavy saucepan, heat Half and Half (or combination or milk and heavy cream – adjusted to however rich you want it) and granulated sugar until combined and hot but NOT bubbling. Keep mixture warm over very LOW heat.
- Put 3 Tbsp of cornstarch in a one-cup glass measure.
- Slowly add ¼ cup milk. Stir steadily to prevent lumps from forming.
- Add 2 egg yolks and mix thoroughly.
- Now, add a few tablespoons of the heated cream and sugar mixture to your measuring cup and stir until combined. (By adding a bit of the hot mixture, it prevents the eggs from cooking too quickly.)
- Next, whisk the entire contents of your measuring cup into the mixture in the saucepan. Whisk continually until thickened.
- Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla and 1 tablespoon butter. Set aside.
- When cool, spread between the cake layers.