A delicious spread that can easily be altered by adding herbs, spices or even finely ground cheese for a delicious salad dressing or sauce for meat and vegetables. Versatile, easy and good tasting.
- yolk of one large, fresh egg
- a couple drops warm water
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 – 1⅓ cup vegetable oil of choice
- 4 teaspoons of lemon juice or white wine vinegar (or combination of both)
- salt and white pepper, to taste
Farmers To You Ingredients:
Fresh and Other Pantry Ingredients:
- Dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt and white pepper, parmesan cheese (see variation)
- Important: Have all ingredients at room temperature.
- Place egg yolk in 2 cup glass measure. Whisk in a ½ teaspoon of barely-warm water. This helps keep the mixture from separating.
- Add mustard and whisk well.
- Whisking constantly, add a thin stream of oil until the mayonnaise is thickened. Then whisk in the lemon juice and/or white vinegar. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Store in clean, glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Note: Remember, the yolks of fresh eggs are very yellow, so your homemade mayonnaise will have much more color than the white spread you buy at the grocery store.
- Variation: Add ⅓ cup finely ground Parmesan cheese and ⅓ cup finely chopped basil.