Grilled Cheddar and Tomato Panini
Simple and satisfying, these sandwiches are as delicious as they are comforting. Great for a quick meal when you are eating at home alone, or when you have a gang of kids to feed.
- 8 slices of your favorite bread
- 8 slices cheddar
- 8 – 12 fresh basil leaves
- 4 large or 12 small tomato slices
- salt and pepper
- butter, at room temperature
Farmers to You Ingredients:
Fresh or Other Pantry Ingredients:
- mayonnaise, salt, pepper, butter
- Cut 8 slices of bread. Spread mayonnaise on one side of each slice.
- Arrange 4 bread slices on your work surface, mayonnaise side up.
- Next, top each with 1 slice of cheese, basil leaves and tomato slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add the second slice of cheese to each and top with the remaining 4 slices of bread, mayonnaise side facing in.
- Spread both sides of the sandwich with softened butter and place on a preheated skillet over medium heat or in a panini press. Cook, covered, for a few minutes per side until the bread is lightly browned and the cheese is melted. Cut on the diagonal and serve warm.
- Great served as an accompaniment to soup or even cut up into tiny squares to make grilled cheese croutons! Use those to make your favorite bowl of tomato soup truly unforgettable!
- Experiment with different fillings like thin apple slices and bacon, chutney and turkey, figs and pork or make up your own.