Brilliantly red and brilliantly flavorful.
- 1 large onion, diced (approximately 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds beets, grated
- 1 pound tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¾ pounds ground beef, cooked (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh dill to garnish
Farmers To You Ingredients:
Other Fresh and Pantry Ingredients:
- olive oil, stock, lemon juice, salt and pepper
- Coarsely chop onion.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy soup pot over low to medium heat. Add onions and cook slowly until onions are limp.
- Wash and grate unpeeled beets. Add to onions and continue to slowly cook over low heat for approximately 10 minutes.
- Chop up washed tomatoes and add to pot.
- Add 4 cups of stock and cook, covered for 30 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Serve with a dollop of crème fraiche/yogurt/sour cream. Garnish with dill.
- If you’d prefer a meat version of this soup, cook ¾ pound of ground beef and add to beets along with the tomatoes.