Zucchini and Summer Squash Soup with Crème Fraiche
A deliciously easy soup to whip up when you are in a hurry and want something that the whole family will enjoy. Using only a few ingredients, it cooks up quickly. Add curry or a bit of milk/cream to give it a whole new taste. Fabulous cool in the summer or eaten hot when the days begin to shorten and the nights are cool.
- 2 lbs +/- zucchini or other summer squash, washed and cubed
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ cup water or vegetable/chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup packed fresh basil leaves (or parsley)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
Other Fresh or Pantry Ingredients: onion, stock, garlic, salt and pepper
- Combine squash, water/stock, onion and garlic in a saucepan. ( Note: Because the squash has such a high moisture content you don't need to add much liquid. Start with ½ a cup and add more if you desire a thinner soup.) Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, for about 15 – 20 minutes or until completely tender. Add basil/parley, salt and pepper and cook a few minutes more. Using an immersion mixer, puree in the pot. (A blender or food processor also works.)
- Garnish with a swirl of crème fraiche. The addition of chopped herbs or grated cheese is also delicious. Serve hot, cold or at room temperature. Serve with fresh bread.