Fennel, Orange and Arugula Salad
Sweet and crisp, it is a wonderful accompaniment to a savory meat dish. Add lamb sausage and it is a meal unto itself. As beautiful to behold as it is a delight to eat.
- 1 large or 2 small fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
- ½ medium sized red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 orange (no need to peel it if it is organic)
- 5 ounces arugula
- 2 ounces dried mango, thinly sliced (fresh is also great)
- 1 avocado, chopped (optional)
- lamb sausage, cooked and sliced (optional)
- ½ cup cilantro leaves (or parsley)
- olive oil
- course sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ½ lemon, juiced
Other Fresh or Pantry Ingredients: orange, avocado,olive oil, salt and pepper, lemon
- Thinly slice fennel and red onion. Cut the “polar” ends off an organic, unpeeled orange and reserve for juice. Thinly slice the central section of the orange and then cut each slice into quarters. (Note: If your orange isn’t organic, be sure to peel it and just use the interior fruit.) Cut up mango (dried or fresh) and add. Sausage and avocado are other nice additions.
- Squeeze juice from ends of orange onto mixture. Add juice from half a lemon along with several tablespoons of good olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let sit for 5 or more minutes to allow flavors to meld. Set aside.
- Place washed arugula into a salad bowl. Arrange fennel mixture on top of arugula and garnish with cilantro or parsley.