Mexican Moon Cookies
A variation on the Mexican Wedding Cake, these rich cookies will melt in your mouth. A favorite holiday cookie! Makes 3 - 4 dozen cookies.
- 1 cup unsalted butter – 2 sticks
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup toasted pecans (or walnuts), very finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar (for sifting on cookies)
Farmers To You Ingredients:
- butter, all purpose flour, pecans
Other Fresh or Pantry Ingredients:
- vanilla, cinnamon, confectioner’s sugar
- Put slightly softened butter into the bowl of a mixer. Beat until smooth. Add vanilla and ½ cup confectioner’s sugar and beat until completely blended. Add flour and then finely chopped nuts. Mix thoroughly. Divide the dough into 2 balls, wrapping each in plastic. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Combine 1 cup of confectioner’s sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- Once chilled, remove 1 ball of dough from the refrigerator. Using your fingers, take approximately 2 teaspoons of dough and form a crescent moon shape. Continue until all the dough is used up. Arrange the cookies on a parchment-lined cookies sheet, spacing them approximately ½” apart. Repeat with the second ball of dough.
- Bake cookies for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet. Using a sifter, evenly coat cookies with cinnamon sugar. Store airtight at room temperature. Enjoy with a cup or tea or glass of milk and a plate of berries.