Basic Potato Salad
A glorious potato salad that’s light and flavorful. The addition of taragon and capers will make your taste buds sing! A great addition to any summer picnic.
- 2 pounds yellow fleshed potatoes, washed with skins left on
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tbsps whole grain mustard
- 2 bunches of scallions (you can also substitute onion)
- ½ cup capers
- 2 ribs of celery, finely chopped
- 1 bunch (approx. ½ cup) tarragon leaves, chopped (try substituting mint, dill, or parsley)
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
Farmers to You Ingredients:
- gold potatoes, celery, tarragon
Other Fresh or Pantry Ingredients:
- olive oil, lemons, whole grain mustard, scallions, capers, salt and pepper
- Scrub potatoes and then place in a steamer over 2 inches of boiling water. Cook for approximately 20 minutes or until a knife inserted into the potato’s flesh indicates it is cooked through. Note: If your potatoes are different sizes, the smaller ones will be done first. Remove those, when done, and let the larger potatoes continue to cook. Do not over-cook as potatoes will become mushy and won’t hold their shape.
- Prepare your dressing while the potatoes cook: Wash onions and remove the root end as well as the top third of the green. Cut into thin slices. Wash celery ribs, pat dry and finely dice. Wash tarragon (or other favorite herb) and remove the stems. Set onions, celery and tarragon aside.
- In a big salad bowl, mix oil, lemon juice and mustard. Blend thoroughly using either a whisk or fork. Add the onions, celery and capers to the mixture.
- Next, while still warm, cut your potatoes into small chunks. Add them directly to your salad bowl. (When the potatoes are warm they absorb more of the dressing.) Gently toss along with the tarragon. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve at room temperature. Beautiful on a bed of arugula or red leaf lettuce!