Crispy and Flavorful Celeriac and Parsnip Latkes/Pancakes
A satisfying and quick dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Use potatoes instead of parsnips for an equally delicious alternative and slightly more traditional taste. Wonderful when served with rhubarb chutney, applesauce or yogurt.
- 1 medium celeriac, peeled and grated
- 1 large parsnip (you can also substitute 2 medium or one large potato)
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Rhubarb chutney, applesauce or yogurt for accompaniment
Ingredients from Farmers To You:
- Peel and grate celeriac. Wash and grate parsnip (or potato). Finely chop red onion.
- Combine celeriac, parsnips and onions in a bowl.
- Add flour, salt and pepper. Stir to evenly distribute. Beat eggs and then add to mixture.
- Add several tablespoons of oil to a heavy skillet and place over medium heat. While oil is heating, form vegetable mixture into patties approximately 2–3 inches in width. Add to hot oil. Fry for about 5 minutes then flip and cook the second side. When done, remove from pan and blot on paper towels before serving. Add more oil to cook remaining batter. Serve with rhubarb chutney, applesauce or yogurt.