Fennel, Apple, Celery Salad with Cilantro and Lemon
I stumbled across this recipe on the Food Network site. If you’ve got an abundance of fall apples staring at you, this is a nice and unexpected way to use some of them. I love the fennel & apple combo, then the kick of cilantro makes me think of summer – especially when the temperature rises so high in mid-October. Add some protein to this and make it dinner. You can add a creamy taste by whisking in a spoonful of yogurt or mayo to the vinaigrette. Likewise, if the vinaigrette seems too lemony for your palate, substitute some of the lemon juice for a vinegar of your choice.
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or sunflower oil
- Coarse grained salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 large apples, julienned
- 1 medium head fennel, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 large ribs celery, sliced (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped or more to taste
- In a large non-reactive bowl, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Add the apples, fennel, celery and cilantro. Toss until well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings.
EAT WELL AND BE WELL