We don’t talk much about breakfast. “What are we having for dinner?” is forever stealing the spotlight. Farmers to You offers numerous scrumptious breakfast foods (don’t get me started on that Salumi Slab Bacon!). If you don’t have time to stir a pot of oatmeal in the morning try making muesli. Muesli is the invention of a Swiss doctor looking to fortify his patients. In its simplest form muesli is a mixture of raw oats and milk. There are zillions of variations, all good.
I’m a fan of muesli for numerous reasons: minimal prep & zero cooking, soaking the grains increases digestibility and vitamin absorption, I can control the amount of sweetener that goes into my bowl and the texture and bite of the soaked grain is really appealing.
- ¾ cup oats (or rye flakes, kamut flakes)
- 1 cup yogurt (or milk, cream or create your own combination)
- Stir together the uncooked oats and yogurt in a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight. In the morning garnish with anything from the list below:
- chopped apple
- any seasonal fruit
- warming spices like cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom, etc.
- apple sauce
- chopped nuts like walnuts, pecans, almonds, hazelnuts, etc.
- sliced banana
- raisins or currants
- strawberry jam
- raw honey
- maple syrup
- maple sugar
- toasted coconut
EAT WELL AND BE WELL