I tend to think of Pete Colman’s sausage as a flavoring rather than the main event. His sausages are carefully crafted and thoughtfully seasoned. Not that I wouldn’t gladly dive in and eat a whole sausage – I most certainly would! During the winter when I’m still thinking frugally, I typically use one package to serve all three of us.
TEN WAYS WITH SALUMI SAUSAGE
- Crumble and brown some Benito/chorizo then fold into an omelet with a handful of baby spinach. (Eggs for dinner – yummo!)
- Make a quick butternut squash soup by sauteing one onion, stirring in a thawed package of frozen butternut puree and one container of Joe’s Roasted Vegetable Stock or Chicken Stock. Top each bowl with a few browned slices of Daily Grind sausage – season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss some freshly cooked penne or other cut pasta with a splash of olive oil and crumbled browned Roma sausage. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. A sprinkle of cheese would also be nice.
- Top a Red Hen Pizza Crust with a smear of red sauce, pre-browned slices of Daily Grind sausage and a dusting of cheese and you’ve got flatbread for dinner.
- Cut a baked sweet potato in half and top with crumbled browned Great Expectations sausage and sauteed onions (or caramelized if you’ve got the time).
- Use Salumi’s Breakfast sausage to shape into little patties and fry in a pan. Cut a piece of toast in half, slide a sausage patty in between and you’ve got a portable breakfast sandwich.
- Make this.
- Or this.
- Stir ANY of the Salumi sausages into ANY bean soup. (Crumble and brown the sausage first).
- Go ahead and splurge – eat a whole one! Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Place sausages in the pan without them touching. Turn every minute or two, for about 12 minutes until browned on all sides. Check that sausages are cooked through and that no pink remains. If you’re unsure or hesitant you may add 1/4 cup of liquid (chicken stock, water, beer or wine) to the frying pan and cover with a fitted lit. Cook for another 4 to 5 minutes. The sausages will steam to finish cooking.
EAT WELL AND BE WELL