Following the Thanksgiving feast I’m still in salad mode. December is a delightfully celebratory month filled with delectable food and drink. To temper the indulgence I’ll post a few lighter options before diving into some richer holiday fare.
|Roasted Beet Salad with Toasted Walnuts and Goat Cheese|| |
Author: Shannon Hepburn
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1½ teaspoons grated orange peel/zest
- 4 (2- to 3-inch-diameter) beets, unpeeled, scrubbed, all but 1 inch of tops removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups of baby spinach leaves
- ½ cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 4 ounces soft fresh goat cheese
- extra orange zest for garnish - optional
- For dressing:
- Whisk all ingredients in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- For salad: Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss beets with 1 tablespoon oil and put in a baking pan. Roast beets until tender, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Cool beets; peel and cut into ½-inch wedges. (Dressing and beets can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately; chill. Bring both to room temperature before continuing.)
- Mix spinach, walnuts and dressing in large bowl; toss. Divide among plates. Arrange beets around greens; sprinkle with goat cheese and optional orange zest.
- ***You could call this dinner by tossing in some protein: leftover bites of turkey, cooked beans or crumbled tempeh.***
- Makes 4 servings
EAT WELL AND BE WELL