|Apple Breakfast Muffins||
Author: Adapted from Cookie & Kate
- 1¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 1¼ cups rye flakes
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- ⅛ teaspoon ginger
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil (or sunflower/canola oil)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 small apples, chopped into small pieces
- maple sugar and nutmeg, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a muffin tin with muffin wrappers or grease your muffin pan. In a large bowl combine flour, rye flakes, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cardamom and ginger.
- In a medium bowl combine applesauce, buttermilk, sugar, oil, egg and vanilla extract. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in your wet applesauce mixture. Stir until just moist. Fold in the chopped apples. Fill the muffin cups ⅔ to ¾ full. Sprinkle maple sugar (or brown sugar) and a light dusting of nutmeg on top of the muffins.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes. Makes about a dozen muffins.