Bacon and Cabbage Soup
|Bacon and Cabbage Soup|| |
Author: Adapted from Epicurious/Paul Flynn
- • 4 strips bacon, chopped into ¼ inch pieces
- • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- • 2 large Organic Gold potatoes
- • 5 cups chicken stock
- • 1 bay leaf (the soup will still be delicious if you don’t have any bay leaves)
- • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- • ½ head green or red cabbage, cored, thinly sliced and cut into ½ inch pieces
- In a soup pot over moderate heat cook the chopped bacon until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside. Cook the onion in the remaining bacon fat, saute & stir until softened about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and saute for 2 minutes. Add stock, bay leaf, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, until potatoes are soft, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add cabbage and simmer for 5 additional minutes. Discard bay leaf. At this point you may either puree the soup or half of the soup in a blender (working in batches). Or if you prefer a chunkier texture serve it as is. Stir in the bacon before serving.
- Serves 4