Winter Vegetable and Tofu Korma
|Winter Vegetable and Tofu Korma|| |
Author: 101 Cookbooks
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1½ teaspoons turmeric
- 1½ teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1¾ teaspoons ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter, ghee or sunflower oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger, peeled first
- 4 medium cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1½ pounds waxy potatoes, cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 1½ cups cauliflower, cut into tiny trees
- ⅔ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste (whatever salt you use is fine)
- 12 ounces firm tofu, cut into ¼ inch cubes
- ½ cup greek yogurt – or use full fat plain yogurt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- a small buch of fresh cilantro, chopped
- Combine the cardamom, turmeric, red pepper flakes, cumin, coriander, and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat the butter/oil in a large, thick-bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the onions. Cook until they soften a bit, just a minute or two. Then add the ginger and then garlic. Stir in the spices and continue cooking for a couple minutes, or until the spices are very fragrant. Stir in the potatoes, cauliflower, and half the almonds. Add ¾ teaspoon salt.
- Now stir in 3 cups of water. Stir gently, cover with a lid leaving a tiny crack and simmer for 15-20 minutes, the potatoes should be just about cooked by then. Taste, and add more salt if needed. Stir in the tofu after about 15 minutes so it has time to heat through.
- In the meantime, combine the yogurt and cream in a bowl with a couple pinches of salt.
- Once the vegetables are cooked through, dial down the heat to low. Now, you can add the yogurt mixture all at once and bring the pot back just to the brink of a simmer. Or do what I do, serve the yogurt on the side, so people can make their bowl as rich as they like. Either way, taste, make sure to taste the broth, and add more salt if needed. If you haven’t added the yogurt to the big pot, serve each bowl with a generous dollop of the yogurt cream, and top with the remaining nuts and chopped cilantro.
- Serves 6+