Sausage and Kale Soup
|Sausage and Kale Soup|| |
Author: Shannon Hepburn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch chunks
- 1 bunch kale (any kind) center stems removed and roughly chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 pound sausage, removed from casings (just squeeze out the meat)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a large soup pot heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, red pepper flakes (if using) and sausage. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is browned (about 10 minutes). Remove this mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pot add the kale, salt and pepper, and saute until the kale has wilted (a couple of minutes). Add potatoes and chicken (or vegetable) stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender about 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a blender puree about half of the soup. Return to pot to thicken the soup; add sausage and onions. Simmer until sausage is heated through and serve.
- Serves 4-6