|Roasted Broccoli Soup|| |
Author: Shannon Hepburn
This actually is a great breakfast soup
- 1 large bunch of broccoli, stems peeled then everything cut into 1 inch pieces (does not need to be exact because you’ll be pureeing the soup)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, thickly sliced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a soup pot over medium heat and saute the chopped onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft. Add the diced potato and vegetable stock to the pot. Increase the heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are cooked through. Turn off heat and let rest.
- While the stock is coming to a boil, roast the broccoli by first tossing the pieces in a bowl with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and generously sprinkling with salt and pepper. Spread the broccoli on a baking sheet (or two so that each piece comes in contact with the baking pan). Drizzle any remaining olive oil over the broccoli, evenly coating the pieces. Roast in oven for 10 minutes and then use a spatula to toss the broccoli. Roast until the broccoli pieces are nicely browned/caramelized. This should be about 20 minutes total, depending on your oven.
- Add the roasted broccoli to the soup pot and puree with an immersion blender or transfer in batches to a blender or food processor. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serves 4-6
- ***This soup is vegan as written, but can also be adapted to suit your tastes; grated cheddar cheese may be stirred in after pureeing, chicken stock can take the place of veggie stock, leeks or shallots may be used instead of the yellow onion, fresh herbs, a squeeze of lemon or a dollop of yogurt may be added before serving.***