Quick Roasted Delicata Squash
|Quick Roasted Delicata Squash|| |
Author: Shannon Hepburn
Delicata is one of my favorites. The flesh is rich, creamy and sweet, they are quick to cook and you don't have to peel them - hooray!
- 2-4 delicata squash, depending on size
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Wash the delicata before cutting the squash in half lengthwise (you can slice off the top stem first to make this easier). With a spoon scoop out the seeds and compost or discard. If you're feeling particularly industrious you may clean and roast them like you would pumpkin seeds.
- Cut each delicata half into ½ inch segments - like little c's or moon shapes. The skin stays on and gives a great "bite" when roasted.
- Toss with olive oil & salt and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Try to make sure each of the pieces touch the pan for best browning/caramelizing. If the squash is piled in a heap you'll end up with steamed sqaush rather than roasted squash - still good, but not the same thing.
- Cook for about 15 minutes then flip the pieces with a spatula. You're looking for both sides to be nicely browned and tender. Total cooking time about 35 minutes. Season to taste with additional salt.
- Serves 2-4 as a side dish