Mexican Chicken Soup
|MEXICAN CHICKEN SOUP|| |
Author: Author: The Kitchn
I'm sharing this recipe for a couple of reasons: #1. It's fairly simple and not too time consuming (your slow cooker already took care of that part). #2. Before we descend into those deep, earthy and rich flavors of winter I thought a nice warm soup with a hit of fresh cilantro and bright squeeze of lime would make a good transition into fall.
- 1 medium potato, cubed into bite-sized pieces (whatever kind you have on hand will work: russet, gold, new, sweet)
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ sweet yellow onion, sliced thin
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth from crock pot - if you don't have enough you may supplement with your favorite store bought brand
- ½ small roast chicken (leftovers are fine), meat shredded off the bone (if you don't have enough chicken left you can quickly slice and brown one or two chicken breasts in a skillet with oil)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Juice from ½ lime
- Several stems cilantro, chopped fine (stems and leaves), plus more leaves for garnish
- 1 corn tortilla, cut in half, then in ¼” strips
- ½ ripe avocado, cubed
- Small piece jack cheese, shredded (optional)
- In at least a 3-qt pot, boil 6 cups of water. Add potato pieces and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes, until a knife pierced into center barely holds onto potato before dropping it. Drain and set aside.
- In a large stock pot over medium flame, heat 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil, then add onion and sauté until soft, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, salt and pepper, and sauté another minute.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add shredded chicken, tomatoes, lime juice, cooked potatoes, and cilantro. Turn off heat and cover.
- In a small skillet over medium flame, heat remaining 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil. Add tortilla strips and allow to brown, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Sprinkle with salt.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls, top with chopped cilantro, cubed avocado, shredded cheese and a handful of tortilla strips.
- Serves 4