In last week’s update I wrote about how cooking a whole chicken in a crockpot was a quick and easy way to prepare the beautiful Misty Knoll birds available at Farmers to You. I must have been convincing because I got a request for the recipe!
Below are the basics – It’s as it reads; simple, slow and tender
|Crockpot Chicken|| |
- one large onion
- one whole chicken
- one clove garlic
- Cut up one large onion and place it on the bottom of the crockpot
- Put the whole chicken in the crockpot on top of the onion - breast up
- Top chicken with one clove garlic crushed and chopped celery greens to taste
- Add ¼ cup water and set the crock pot on low for 8 hr. I'll set it up in the morning and let it run all day.
- When the chicken has cooked, I like to separate all of the meat from the bone before eating it. If there's extra after you've fed the family, put a little bit of the juices from the crockpot in a container with the meat to keep it moist.
- To make stock, put the bones back in the crockpot and add water to about an inch below the cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.