Snack Food – Chewy Granola Bars
|Snack Food...Chewy Granola Bars|| |
Author: Shannon Hepburn
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup rye flakes
- 2 tablespoons flax meal plus enough whole wheat flour to make ½ cup total
- 1 cup walnuts
- ½ cup dried figs
- ½ cup golden raisins or Tierra Farms raisins
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅓ cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- 2 eggs (larger rather than smaller)
- 1 - 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 baking pan with butter or oil.
- Mix oats, rye flakes, flax meal, whole wheat flour, figs, raisins, cinnamon, ginger in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl mix together maple syrup (or agave syrup) and eggs. Pour wet ingredients into the dry and mix until combined. Add water one tablespoon at a time to help moisten granola.
- Pour one cup of the granola mixture into food processor and pulse for 3 seconds at a time until mixture is chopped and sticks together. This does not have to be too fine, but it needs to be a bit sticky so your bars don't fall apart.
- Mix the chopped granola back into the bowl with the remaining granola and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until combined. Pour mixture into your prepared baking pan. With wet fingers, press granola into the pan. Keep pressing until the granola covers the entire bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until the edges are just starting to brown. Remove from oven and let cool in pan on a rack for 15 - 20 minutes. Flip pan over onto rack and let (uncut)bars finish cooling completely. Once cooled, use a sharp knife to cut into 2 inch x 3 inch bars (or desired size). Store in an airtight container. These may also be frozen.
- Makes roughly 12 2 inch x 3 inch bars