Holiday Pumpkin and Cinnamon Granola
|Holiday Granola|| |
Author: Shannon Hepburn- barely adapted from My New Roots
This is my holiday gift giving granola - people are always delighted to receive a delicious homemade treat
- 4 cups rye flakes
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ⅓ cup sunflower oil (or butter if you're feeling decadent)
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- zest of one large orange
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup raw almonds
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup shelled pistachios
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup puffed brown rice
- 1 cup puffed millet
- I like to add 1 cup of Crunchy Flax cereal (made by Enjoy Life) - they are little unsweetened balls that give a satisfying crunch to the granola
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash the orange and zest the entire rind.
- Put the sunflower oil or butter in a small saucepan and melt on low heat. Add maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and orange zest. When all the ingredients are well combined, pour over the rye flakes & rolled oats and stir well.
- Put rye/oats on 2 baking sheets and bake for 15-20 minutes, remove from oven and stir, bake until golden brown (usually another 15-20 minutes). Time varies depending on your oven.
- While the rye flakes/oats are baking, roughly chop the almonds, walnuts, pistacios and cranberries and set aside.
- Once the oats are toasted and cooled you can combine all the ingredients. If you like, add some puffed cereal grains like brown rice and millet or Crunchy Flax or Crunchy Rice cereal. These bulk up the granola, but are very inexpensive. They serve as a nice contrast against the richness of the other ingredients.