Red Cabbage Salad with Fennel, Orange and Pepitas
|Red Cabbage Salad with Fennel, Orange and Pepitas|| |
Author: Food & Wine
- 2 cups raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- ¼ cup sunflower oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (or your favorite vinegar)
- freshly ground pepper
- 4 oranges
- 2 small fennel bulbs - halved, cored and thinly sliced, fronds reserved
- one 1- ½ pound head of red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced or grated
- 1 small bunch cilantro, leaves picked and stems discarded (about ¼ cup packed)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the pumpkin seeds on a large rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 7 minutes, until golden brown. Drizzle with the tamari and toss well. Bake the pumpkin seeds for about 3 minutes longer, tossing once or twice, until they are crisp. Let cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk the ¼ cup of olive oil with the lemon zest and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Using a sharp knife, peel the oranges, removing all of the bitter white pith. Working over a bowl, cut in between the membranes to release the sections.
- In a large bowl, toss the cabbage, sliced fennel and cilantro with two-thirds of the roasted pumpkin seeds. Add the dressing and toss well. Transfer the salad to a platter and arrange the orange sections and fennel fronds on top. Sprinkle with the remaining roasted pumpkin seeds and serve.
- Serves 8