|Black Bean Burgers with Bittman's Tomato Jam||
Author: Mark Bittman
- 2 packages Vermont Bean Crafters' Black Bean Burgers
- burger buns (or not - we're gluten free so we eat our burgers naked)
- your favorite toppings: lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, mayo, mustard, etc...
- 1 batch of Mark Bittman's TOMATO JAM - following
- 1½ pounds good ripe tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated or minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 jalapeño or other peppers, stemmed, seeded and minced, or red pepper flakes or cayenne to taste.
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan, Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture has consistency of thick jam, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, then cool and refrigerate until ready to use; this will keep at least a week. Aside from serving with the bean burgers it's great plain, on bread, with fish or grilled meat or vegetables. Will keep in fridge for about a week.
See more vegatarian recipes and shopping lists at our “recipes and shopping lists” post