Grilled Russian Kale with Yogurt Dressing
|Grilled Russian Kale with Yogurt Dressing|| |
Author: Adapted from Travis Lett of Gjelina
- Adapted from Travis Lett of Gjelina
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, or strained whole milk yogurt
- 1 shallot, very thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 10 mint leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 to 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup raw hazelnuts (skin on)
- 2 bunches Russian kale, stems removed (or your favorite variety of kale)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees, and heat a gas to medium-high or prepare a charcoal grill
- In a mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, shallot, garlic, mint, one-fourth cup olive oil, 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, one-fourth teaspoon salt and one-fourth teaspoon pepper. Adjust the vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. This makes about 1½ cups dressing, more than is needed for the remainder of this recipe. The dressing will keep for up to 3 days; keep covered and refrigerated until ready to use.
- Place the hazelnuts on a jellyroll pan and toast in the oven until fragrant and golden, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the hazelnuts to a clean, damp kitchen towel and rub to remove the skins. Roughly chop and set aside.
- Place the greens in a bowl and lightly coat with the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Lightly season with a pinch each of salt and pepper. Splash with a little cold water to help create steam on the grill. Place the greens on the hottest part of the grill until it slightly chars, 1 to 2 minutes depending on the temperature of the grill. Start to move the greens around to avoid burning and continue wilting for another minute or so. They should be slightly charred around the edges and nicely softened in the center. Remove the greens to a large bowl and toss with enough dressing to lightly coat. Divide the salad among 4 serving plates, and divide the hazelnuts among the servings, sprinkling them over each salad. Serve immediately.
- Serves 4