|Orecchiette with Sausage and Kale|| |
Author: Shannon Hepburn
- 1 pound orecchiette (or try an available variety of fresh Valicenti Organico pasta)
- ¾ pound smoked chorizo or Salumi's Daily Grind sausage
- Olive oil
- About 4 cups kale - Lacinata, Green or Red Russian or another hearty green like the braising mix, torn into bite-sized shreds
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup toasted pine-nuts or walnuts
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan or Pecorino
- Heat a large pot of salted water to boiling and cook the pasta according to package directions. When tender, drain and reserve ½ cup of the pasta water. Return the pasta to the pot and set aside.
- Meanwhile, squeeze the sausage out of their casings. Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. When hot, add the sausage and cook breaking into bits with the back of a spoon or spatula for about 5 to 10 minutes, or until well-browned.
- Scrape the browned sausage to the side of the pan and add the kale. Pour the chicken broth in, cover, and cook for about 8 minutes, or until the kale is wilted and tender.
- Mix the kale, sausage, pine-nuts, cheese, and reserved ½ cup of pasta water into the cooked pasta.
- Serves 4
- Another option would be to toss the sausage & kale mixture on top of a pizza crust instead of mixing it with pasta. Dollops of goat cheese, chopped olives or sun-dried tomatoes would be great too.