Asparagus Stir Fry
|Asparagus Stir Fry|| |
Author: 101 Cookbooks
- toasted sesame oil
- 8 ounces firm tofu, cut into slices thick as a pencil
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- scant 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger (peeled)
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ a bunch of asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- a couple big pinches of fine-grain sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 big handful of toasted cashews, chopped up a bit - or you could use walnuts
- a few handfuls of spinach, or chopped kale, or chopped chard
- zest and juice of one lime
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 small handful fresh mint, slivered
- 1 small handful fresh basil, slivered
- Have all your ingredients prepped and within arms reach of the stove. Heat a splash of sesame oil in a large pan, or well-seasoned wok over medium high heat. Alternately, you can do this in a dry non-stick pan. (Scanpan makes a good non-stick pan that is not coated in Teflon). When it is hot, add the tofu, and cook until golden - a few minutes. Remove the tofu from the pan and set aside.
- Add another (generous) splash of oil to the pan and, as soon as it is hot, add the onions, ginger, red pepper flakes, asparagus, and salt. Stir fry for about a minute, then add the garlic, cashews, and spinach and stir-fry for another minute, or until the spinach wilts. Return the tofu to the pan. Stir in the lime zest and juice and the hoisin sauce. Cook for another 10-20 seconds, stirring all the while.
- Remove from heat and stir in the mint and basil. Taste and add a bit more salt if needed.
- Serves 2-4 (main/side)