Cream of Asparagus Soup
|Cream of Asparagus Soup|| |
Author: Gourmet Magazine
- Cut asparagus into ½-inch pieces and set aside.
- Cook onion in 2 tablespoons butter in a 4-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened. Add asparagus pieces and salt and pepper to taste, then cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add 5 cups broth and simmer, covered, until asparagus is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Purée soup in batches in a blender until smooth, transferring to a bowl (use caution when blending hot liquids), and return to pan. Stir in crème fraîche or heavy cream, then add more broth to thin soup to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper and whisk in remaining tablespoon butter.
- Add lemon juice before serving.
- Makes 4 servings
- ~This recipe may be adapted for vegans by sauteing the onions in oil and replacing the creme fraiche/heavy cream for one or two diced white potatoes simmered with the asparagus in the vegetable stock
~Leeks will be in season soon – this would be delicious with leeks in place of the onion. Shallots would also be a great choice~