Slow Roasted Herb Turkey Breast
|Slow Roasted Herb Turkey Breast|| |
Author: Adapted from All About Roasting by Molly Stevens (kudos to Molly for taking home a coveted James Beard award for this book!)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage (or 1 tsp. dried sage - in winter I don't often buy fresh herbs for a zillion dollars)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tsp. dried thyme)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp. dried)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon celery seeds ( may omit if you don't have them on hand)
- 1 boneless turkey breast half (about 2 pounds), with skin
MAKE THE HERB PASTE: Roughly chop the garlic and sprinkle with the salt. Let sit for a few moments while you measure out/chop the rest of the herbs. In a small bowl combine 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, sage, thyme, rosemary, pepper and celery seeds. Come back to the resting garlic/salt combo and chop super fine until a paste forms.
SEASON THE TURKEY BREAST: Smear the turkey all over with the herb & garlic paste. Using your fingers slide some of the paste under the skin, being careful not to loosen the skin completely. Place the turkey breast on a wire rack on a baking sheet or tray and refrigerate, preferably uncovered, for 6 to 24 hours. *(I frequently skip this step because I often don't have time to think this far ahead)* Let the roast sit at room temperature for about an hour before roasting *(I skip this too)*
HEAT THE OVEN: to 300 degrees.
SEAR THE TURKEY: Heat a large skillet (11 to 12 inches) over medium high heat. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and heat until it shimmers. Sear the turkey skin side down, maneuvering it and turning it from side to side with tongs so the skin side sears evenly, about 6 minutes. Turn the turkey skin side up and lightly brown on the bottom, another 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the turkey, skin side up, to a shallow roasting pan or baking dish.
ROAST: Slide the turkey in the oven and roast until the juices run mostly clear with a trace of pink and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers about 165 degrees, 1¼ to 1½ hours. Let the turkey rest out of the oven for 20 minutes.
- Carve and serve with any pan drippings.
- Serves 4 to 6