|Pseudo Pasta Carbonara|| |
- 1 pound of pasta, shapes or strands (I happened to have fettuccine in my cupboard last night)
- 4 slices of bacon, diced
- 1 large shallot (or two medium) finely chopped
- ⅓ bag of spinach, washed & stemmed
- 4 eggs
- splash of heavy cream
- freshly ground pepper
- Heat a large pot of water for the pasta. Cook according to directions.
- In a large skillet cook the diced bacon until crispy and brown. With a slotted spoon, remove the bacon to a small bowl and set aside. Add the shallots to the hot pan with the bacon fat and saute until the shallots are soft and lightly browned, about 5 minutes or so. Scrape the shallots into the same bowl with the bacon.
- In the same skillet fry the eggs, sprinkling with salt and freshly ground pepper. When the eggs are cooked to your liking slide them onto a plate and set aside for a moment.
- Add the drained, cooked pasta to the same skillet so it may absorb all the previous flavors. Add a splash (or more) of cream, salt and pepper to taste and toss to combine. Add the bacon & onions and spinach to the pasta and toss to combine until the spinach begins to wilt. Adjust the seasonings to taste. Serve each plate of pasta with an egg on top. Certainly wouldn't hurt to top with a bit of cheese.
- Serves 4