Warm Turkey Chili With White Beans
|Turkey Chili With White Beans|| |
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1½ pounds ground turkey
- ¼ cup chili powder - or to taste ( I generally use 3 tablespoons for this recipe)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups beef or chicken stock
- 3 15 oz. cans small white beans, rinsed & drained or 3 cups cooked FTY beans
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels (not part of the original recipe, but no doubt delicious)
- Heat oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions; saute until light brown and tender, about 10 minutes. Add oregano and cumin, stir for 1 minute.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add turkey; stir until no longer pink, breaking up with back of a spoon. Stir in chili powder, bay leaves, cocoa powder, salt and cinnamon. Heat the spices for about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and beef/chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans to chili and simmer until flavors blend, about 10 minutes longer. Discard bay leaves before serving. Great with chopped red onion, sour cream or yogurt, cilantro, grated cheese and, of course, cornbread.