Orange Cornmeal Cake
|Orange Cornmeal Cake|| |
Author: Martha Stewart
- Preheat oven to 375. Brush bottom of an 8-inch round cake pan with oil. Line the bottom with a round of wax or parchment paper and then brush paper with oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, 1 cup sugar, and wine(or orange juice) until smooth. add flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and orange zest; whisk gently to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle the top evenly with remaining ¼ cup sugar. Bake until cake begins to pull away from sides of pan and a toothpick comes out clean, 35-40 minutes
- Cool in pan for 20 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the cake; invert onto a plate and remove parchment/wax paper. Reinvert cake onto a rack to cook completely. Serve with orange segments if you wish.
- **A note about the sugar topping. The extra ¼ cup sugar topping is not essential to the recipe and may be omitted for a less sugary dessert.