Butternut Squash and Pear Soup
|Butternut Squash and Pear Soup|| |
Author: from Refresh by Ruth Ta
- 1 inch ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1 cinnamon stick (we just used a dash or two of cinnamon)
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced (we used frozen butternut squash)
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced (we didn't peel the sweet potato)
- 6 c vegetable stock (we just used bouillon)
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- ⅓ c white wine
- 2 pears, cored and sliced
- ½ c coconut milk (we used a whole can)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- ½ red pepper, diced (we forgot the red pepper)
- Put the ginger, cinnamon stick, squash and sweet potato in a soup pot (we thawed the squash first, then added everything else).
- Cover with vegetable stock. bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- While the vegetables are simmering in the soup pot, heat olive oil in a frying pan. Add onion and cook until caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add white wine and chopped pears to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes until wine is reduced; then add to the soup pot.
- When the squash and sweet potatoes are cooked, about 30 minutes (much less when squash is already pureed), add the coconut milk, salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Take out cinnamon stick.
- Puree in a food processor (when cooled) or with a hand blender (can be blended right away).
- Garnish with finely diced red pepper and serve.